I was craving a hearty bowl of soup on this gorgeous April day. Soup is the perfect comfort food. It warms, fills and bursts with aromatic flavor. My daughter and I browsed through various cook books in search of the winning recipe. The following recipe was taken from Danielle Walker’s cook book, Against all Grain. I have tried many of her recipes and they are fantastic. The recipes are Paleo, gluten-free and dairy free. Which can be embellished for those who don’t eat with restrictions. This is my version of her recipe Mexican Chicken Soup. Do not hesitate to get her book or download her recipe from her website.
INGREDIENTS (Organic if possible)
- Chicken Stock to fill 3/4 of a large stock pot
- 7 Large carrots cut into discs
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Small Poblano Peppers, diced (seeds removed)
- 6 Garlic cloves sliced thinly
- 4 Tomatoes diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Tomato juice
- 3 TBSP Taco seasoning (I used an organic prepared packed from the health food store)
- 1 TBSP Turmeric
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- 1 TBSP Sea Salt
- Fresh cracked Pepper
- Shredded Chicken (Rotisserie or Cook fresh chicken with above ingredients and shred when thoroughly cooked)
- 2 Limes juiced
- Cabbage chopped
I cooked my soup in a stock pot on the stove for around 2 hours, but in a crock pot (Danielle’s recipe) the soup would definitely be richer.
Place the first 12 ingredients in the stock pot and cook to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add the shredded chicken, lime juice, some chopped cilantro and cook for another 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh avocado, cilantro, diced onion and chopped cabbage. This soup is quite delicious eaten with a couple of corn tortillas. For a spicier soup add some Cayenne Pepper or Chopped Jalapeño to the simmering stock pot.